As the Non-Executive Chair of the Aequus Group (AGHL, ADL and ACL), the post holder will provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Board of Directors to ensure that the company achieves its objectives and meets its obligations to shareholders and stakeholders. The candidate should have a proven track record of successful leadership in a relevant sector, as well as strong communication and collaboration skills.
As a local authority-controlled company, it is important for Aequus Group to prioritise the objectives set by our Shareholder and provide efficient and effective services.
We aim to be transparent, accountable, and responsive to the needs and concerns of our stakeholders. We value innovation and strive to find new and better ways to deliver our objectives while remaining fiscally responsible. Our aim is to provide quality homes to meet local housing needs.
Aequus Group are committed to ensuring there is a diverse representation within our company and to have a diverse Board representation from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Provide effective leadership to the Board of Directors, ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities for the direction and oversight of the group of companies.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, including the Shareholder, partners, officials, customers, and suppliers.
- Ensure that the company carries out its mission and aims effectively and efficiently.
- Monitor the performance of the Executive Directors to ensure that company objectives are being met.
- Consider and improve policies and procedures to ensure that the company complies with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that ethical standards are maintained throughout the company.
- Facilitate the development of business strategies and plans that support the company’s short and long-term objectives.
- Ensure that the company has adequate resources to achieve its objectives, and that these resources are being used efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure that the company provides quality, housing solutions in line with the housing needs identified by our relevant local authority partners.
- Represent the company to the public and other stakeholders, including government officials and the media.
- The Chair of the Board will play a crucial role in promoting equity, diversity and inclusion within the organisation and ensuring that all voices are heard and valued.
PART ONE – Knowledge and experience to be addressed in the personal statement:
- Proven experience as a Non-Executive Chairman or similar leadership role in a relevant industry or organisation.
- Knowledge and understanding of good governance practice
- Experience in developing and implementing business strategies and plans.
- Strong financial acumen, including experience with budgeting and financial analysis.
- Appropriate professional qualification or degree in a relevant field, such as business, economics, finance, legal, architecture, housing etc.
- Extensive senior executive level experience in a relevant industry, sector or organisation.
- Strategic-level experience of one or more of the following areas of expertise:
- Significant commercial knowledge of housing and development industry, including relevant legislation and regulations.
- Understanding of local authorities’ structures and operations
- Understanding of the socio-economic, geographical and political environment within which Aequus operates.
PART TWO – Core competencies (to be assessed at interview)
Strong leadership, communication, and collaboration skills to engage effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders with the ability to create an inclusive environment where all members feel valued and heard. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, including government officials and investors.
- Strong commitment to ethical practices and social responsibility.
- Good IT skills, particularly using Microsoft office suite.
Terms and Conditions
Time Commitment & Location
Approximately 2 to 3 days per month with requirement to attend and chair 4-6 Board meetings a year and attend a similar number of Sub-Committee Meetings including Remuneration Committee and Audit & Risk Committee.
Must be available to travel to Aequus Offices for face-to-face Board Meetings and as required for other business meetings.
£10K to £14k per annum – subject to review